Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Long Live The King


I was trying to stay away from doing an obligatory post about King Michael Jackson as I'm still in shock as to his "untimely" (who decides when it's time?) passing. Beside the fact that I haven't posted anything in a few months (extremely busy), I felt it was necessary to acknowledge an artist that I, like many of you, grew up listening to directly or indirectly. Whether it was on the weekends while mom and dad were doing house chores or pops taking me for a visit to see my cousins, there was always a constant of Jackson 5 or James Brown being played in the Cutlass Supreme. Good times. Of course as a shorty vibing to these classic tunes, I was too young to fully appreciate the artistic value of this kind of music that was inspiring, heartfelt and to many, live changing. And I think that's why this situation does not sit well with many.

Since King Jackson's passing, I've seen desperate attempts to nullify and to some degree chastise his existence and relevancy with unnecessary banter (see NYPost still referring to him as wacko jacko). Totally distasteful. I mean given the nature of who he is we all will be subjected to rumors, speculation and other blah blah. But we must respect and honor his legacy and contributions that was made during his time here. Long Live King Michael Joseph Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009).

0 comments:

Post a Comment